#microblogmondays – rite of passage

IMG_2780We never through it would be Caleb who gave us this one. I always assumed Simon would fall or jump off of something a little to high. I’ve been saying for almost 2 years it’s a matter of “when not if” we head to the Emergency Room. But I really thought it would be from a playground accident.

I heard a cry in the middle of the night. Then a different sound. At first I thought Simon was up and talking. But it was Caleb with a deep barking cough between crys and labored breathing. I fed him and realized how hot he felt. There was a fever. It was a few minutes while we debated calling the off-hours doctor or just taking him in first thing this morning. The doctor on call heard the cough over the phone and said get thee to the emergency room for a dose of steroid that baby has croup. Dr. N asked our nearest hospital, I named two, and he told us where to go. Rob called for a car. It was cold and raining.IMG_2775

We made it to the ER, it was quiet, nothing like on TV. This hospital has a pediatric waiting room, triage, and treatment area (do all hospitals have this?) We were seen quickly. Caleb never did cough in front of a nurse or doctor. His fever was down, we got our steroid and took a cab home. I heard the cough at 3:30, we were home at 6:20. As a parental milestone, it was smooth sailing and everyone is FINE. Next time it will probably be the scary one.

5 thoughts on “#microblogmondays – rite of passage

• November 18, 2014 at 11:41 am

That trip sounds scary enough – let’s just leave it with that 🙂

• November 18, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Still, any trip to the hospital with your child is scary. Glad that it went smoothly and that he’s on the road to recovery.

• November 19, 2014 at 10:49 am

I’m sorry about the croup (and glad he’s feeling better). Really, have you never been to an ER?!? They’re usually awful. In NYC, they also usually have a pediatric unit that’s much better.

• November 24, 2014 at 4:38 pm

I’ve really never been to the ER. I guess my parents probably took me to one when I was 6 and got a concussion. I remember a hospital gown and missing school. Definitely a fan of the pediatric unit.

• November 20, 2014 at 5:12 am

Oh, man! Not the kind of milestone you want to have!!

When I first read this on Monday I was going to comment that we had been to the ER only once, and it was when Sofia spiked a fever of 106º around 7 months old. But then just LAST night I had to take Andy for his first visit. He’s 9 months, so at least we outlasted Sofia. Anyway, poor guy has bronchiolitis, but thankfully he didn’t need to be admitted and we’re handling it from home for now. I hope Caleb is better!